Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Bangkok: Through the Lens of Kelly’s Wallet


It’s nearly 1am on February 14th in Bangkok. Sam and I have been on our feet since 7:15 yesterday morning walking, bussing, and taking the sky train to reach various parts of this eclectic city. We departed Daruma on Monday (how we miss our friends there!) and are spending three days sight-seeing in Bangkok before we head to Koh Phangan for the next big permaculture adventure. I thought it would be interesting to write out my expenditures for today in this blog post- a day in the life through the lens of my wallet. It will give you a sense of how Sam and I spent our time, and it will be useful for my own budget-tracking purposes. I spent exponentially more money today than I normally do because Sam and I went shopping and I decided it was a day to indulge. Today was kind of like a mini-vacation, you might say. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

For my purposes here ‘B’ stands for Baht, which is the Thai currency.
30 B = ~1 USD.

15B                        Bus from Shanti Lodge to Siam Square.
20B                        Sky train from Siam Square to Wireless Road.
$82 USD                Fee to add pages to my passport at U.S. Embassy.
120B                      Iced soy latte at Starbucks (yummy indulgence).
150B                      Transaction fee for cash withdrawal from ATM. Necessary preparation for what lay ahead.
50B                        Ridiculously spicy and tasty lunch at MBK mall.
400B                      Two pairs of incredible, floral parachute pants that I’ve been waiting for all my life.
65B                        Chocolate coconut shake at vegan hippie restaurant Ethos (yummy indulgence #2).
110B                      Photo album made from recycled paper and post cards at bookstore.
290B                      Handmade journal bound by string and bearing the Ohm symbol a.k.a. the most perfect place to hold the details of my adventures through Southeast Asia.
120B                      A ‘Hippy Lady’ at Hippe De Bar. Location chosen carefully after perusing the menu of every bar on Khao San road in search of the best deal. Yes, we asked to see the size of the glasses. (yummy indulgence #3).
35B                        Pad thai and spicy tofu curry for dinner. What a steal.
140B                      Vegan chocolate cake with coconut cream and bananas. To compensate up for my inanely cheap dinner, I returned to Ethos and got this delicacy to go. With no tupperware container to my name here in Thailand, I got resourceful and stuffed the hunk of cake with its banana chunks and soupy coconut milk in the oh-so-useful plastic Walt Disney World travel mug I tote around. (yummy indulgence #4... are your surprised?)

Total for the day (excluding U.S. cash for visa pages) 
1,515B
Expenditure breakdown
Transportation: 35B
Food & Beverage: 530B
Souvenirs: 800B
Other: 150B

When I first calculated the total I was slightly horrified. My expenditures have been almost nonexistent up until this point because Sam and I hardly left Daruma during the past three weeks. A bottle of coconut sap drink now and again, perhaps some rose apples from the market, or a 100B card to top off phone minutes... Nothing more.

Then I calculated the currency conversion. 1,515 B is about 45.45 U.S. dollars. Two pairs of pants that are out-of-this-world awesome (you should see Sam’s tie-dye pair), a journal and photo album I absolutely treasure, and an incredible sampling of the many tastes Bangkok has to offer... I’ll take it for $45, thank you very much.

Like I said, today was a mini-vacation of sorts so this certainly does not reflect my normal budgeting for the trip. But if you're looking to travel cheaply and still fully experience the many wonders of a foreign place, I would definitely recommend coming to SEA for a time.

Happy Valentine’s Day! (In case you are wondering yummy indulgence #5 will be some sort of dark chocolate in celebration of Valentine's Day. I've yet to actually see any legitimate dark chocolate... but I'm determined)

Good night to some and good afternoon to most,
Kelly


No comments:

Post a Comment